Land of the Elements
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» EVERYONE SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO INTRODUCE MYSELF (Forest)
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeSun 30 Jul - 2:04 by Forest

» About: Spirits
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeSun 30 Jul - 1:02 by Forest

» Inspiring quotes from Wolves of the Elements
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeSun 30 Jul - 0:57 by Forest

» Silent Storm Pack
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeWed 6 Apr - 18:49 by March

» || Kazumi || Warrior Apprentice || Sun || ♀ ||
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeSat 12 Mar - 13:05 by March

» Lycos Forest
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeSun 7 Feb - 4:32 by Flare

» The Random Game
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan - 23:34 by March

» What Are You Listening To?
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan - 19:09 by Forest

» Plot Requisites
About: Wolf Development I_icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan - 9:46 by Thundo Puffs

Top posting users this month
No user

What is Going On?

○ Spring has arrived

○ Miyuki's butt is on fire. Someone go check her den to see if she's okay.

○ Forest and Rain had their second litter of puppies, and someone familiar who went missing for years has made their appearance shortly after their birth. How mysterious...

○ Welcome, new members, Bloodless and Chance!

Statistics

Season: Early Spring

Time: 7:00 AM

Weather: The sky is a pretty clear blue; no clouds to be seen. The air is crisp and full of promise.

Temp: 17ºC 62ºF.

Mating season: No.

Birthing Season: Yes.

Kyklos = 3
Spirits = 1.
Pack: ♀ = 14. ♂ = 12..
Pack Rivals = 4.
Loners = 4.
Animals = 1.
Word Count
Words Counted: 0

All role-play posts must contain a minimum of 100 words.
Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 36 on Thu 30 May - 17:26
Statistics
We have 16 registered users
The newest registered user is Chance

Our users have posted a total of 12931 messages in 323 subjects

About: Wolf Development

+3
Tsuki
Robin
Thundo Puffs
7 posters

Go down

About: Wolf Development Empty About: Wolf Development

Post by Thundo Puffs Sat 24 May - 1:00

I have always gotten questions on how a wolf pup should look at at a certain age. How large they should be, when do they eat meat, can they leave the camp, etc... so I thought I could make this.

I find myself bored, so please enjoy this explanation on wolf age and size with pictures + descriptions to help out with how you visualize a character in role-play. Keep in mind that this is a guide using the Grey/Timber wolf. I am not entirely sure if other species of wolves, such as the Eurasian, have the same development cycles.

About: Wolf Development Pups_810
Newborns

Four to six pups are the average for wolf mothers, but two to three pups are also common. Wolf pups are born blind, deaf, and unable to regulate body temperature. They only weigh about 1 pound at birth, and rely on their mother for nourishment. For this reason a mother will rarely leave the den. If she had to leave, such as to get food or water, then other wolves from the pack would watch over the pups till she returns. Newborns will consume only their mothers milk at first. Her milk, or more appropriately called colostrum, contains antibodies. These antibodies are very important to the pup. This bacteria will protect the newborn from disease and illness.  

They grow rather quickly. About 12 to 15 days after they are born, they open their eyes. By two weeks of age, the pups can walk, and about a week after that, they may come out of the den for the first time.

Did you know?

Most wolf pups are born with blue eyes, which gradually change to a yellow-gold color as they mature!

Mothers must stimulate their pups to defecate/urinate by licking their genital areas. Mothers will also eat the excretions of her pups. This keeps the den nice and clean.~

Newborns must nurse every 4 to 6 hours.

About: Wolf Development Nitach10
3 Weeks

Here is the age where the wolf pups are ready to see their world for the first time.  Well perhaps not ready quite yet. At this age the pups can walk, see, and hear, so it is only natural that curiosity gets the best of them. Pups will begin to explore the den, and may accidentally- or purposely~, find their way out to the real world. Good thing mother or father is always watching them and shoving them back down to safety!

This is also a time where the pups milk teeth come in. These teeth will enable the young wolves to eat regurgitated meat from their mother. They will weigh about 7 pounds at this age.

Did you know?

Pup mortality ranges from 30% to 60%. Pups die from diseases, malnutrition and starvation.

Predators such as eagles, coyotes, and bears all prey upon wolf pups. A pup wandering outside in the open with no adult would make an easy meal.

About: Wolf Development Nikoak10
4-6 weeks

Wolf pups are now allowed to take shot trips outside the den. At this time, all members of the pack will watch and guard the pups. They will keep constant look out for any predators. The mother may now leave to go hunting for a few hours. Pups can also now go up to other wolves and lick at their muzzle. This will cause the older wolf to spit up meat for the pup to eat (yum).  

Play-fighting begins at this age. This play can determine who will be the most dominant or submissive later in life. Their play also practices hunting and fighting skills.

At five to six weeks pups will begin the gradual process of weaning. They may also move up to a mile away from the den accompanied by an adult.

About: Wolf Development Jim-an10
8-10 Weeks

This is an important time in the young pups life. This is when pups are weaned, and will eat the food provided for them by adults. They will also move to the rendezvous site, which is a place where wolves gather to sleep, play, or just hang out! An adult wolf will usually stay behind to watch the pups while the rest of the pack goes out hunting.

Adult hair will also begin to appear on the pups body, and their eyes will slowly change from blue to gold.

Did you Know?

Occasionally, an adult wolf can be found with blue eyes.

About: Wolf Development 12_wee10
12 Weeks (Juvenile Period)

Pups will begin to follow adult wolves on hunting trips for a short while. They will not yet hunt at this age, but instead go to observe and learn. They may return to the rendezvous site on their own.

The juveniles will now weigh around 22 to 30 pounds.

About: Wolf Development 4f73a510
3.5 Months (14-27 weeks)

Also known as the period of rapid growth. Wolf pups will gain 1.3 pounds per week for the next three months!

About: Wolf Development Wolves10
4-6 Months

Pups are now almost indistinguishable from adults. Their milk teeth are replaced and winter fur becomes apparent.

They will now accompany adults on hunting trips.

About: Wolf Development 8_t10
7-8 Months

Begin to actively hunt within pack. This is also known as the period of slow growth, as the young wolves will only gai
n .5 pounds a week.

About: Wolf Development Grey_w10
1 Year

Now weighing 60-100 pounds, this marks the end of a wolf's growth period. The epiphyseal cartilage closes off, signaling the end of skeletal growth.

The pups status in the pack will start to show with the younger pups in the pack, displaying either more dominant or submissive behavior.

About: Wolf Development Wolf-c10
1-3 Years

The wolf now reaches sexual maturity signaled by hormonal changes. They may chose to disperse from the pack to find a mate and start a new pack at this time. Wolves will weigh 60-100+ pounds.

Last edited by Thundo Puffs on Tue 27 May - 15:05; edited 10 times in total
Thundo Puffs
Thundo Puffs
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue105/1000About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (105/1000)

Back to top Go down

About: Wolf Development Empty Re: About: Wolf Development

Post by Robin Sun 25 May - 20:34

Those are some....interesting facts Thunder...too much use of the squiggle in my opinion, but whatevs. Tis your thing....y....mabob....whatever it's called.
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue2/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (2/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thundo Puffs Sun 25 May - 23:39

B-But, I only used it twice so far ._.
Thundo Puffs
Thundo Puffs
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue105/1000About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (105/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Mon 26 May - 17:44

Which is two times too many ._o
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue2/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (2/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thundo Puffs Tue 27 May - 15:07

Finally I am....DONE.
Thundo Puffs
Thundo Puffs
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Wed 28 May - 8:34

It looks great Thunder/o!
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuki Thu 3 Jul - 14:14

Thank you Thunder for doing this~ Looks wonderful and is helpful... A lot of words end if '-ful'...
Tsuki
Tsuki
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue67/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (67/100)

https://landoftheelements.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Thu 3 Jul - 16:02

It is awesome. I've already used it once in creating Ader. ._.
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Fri 11 Jul - 7:22

I didn't see the whole thing 'cause it's too long. But I instantly remembered a whole page of facts about wolves in my classmate's K-Zone Magazines...

"Wolves rarely attack humans. But in-case you met an aggressive wolf met you, wave your hands, shout loudly, make some noise like really really crazy(not very because people may spot you) and move a small step towards to show dominance."

Okay. That was just a summary. Actually it was smaller than that. Lol......

Looks good, THUndo OATs.....
Luna
Luna

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue34/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (34/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Fri 11 Jul - 21:56

... Whoever wrote that is asking for death more than likely
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Luna Sat 12 Jul - 2:46

Yeah, more like an idiot, hahahahaha!!!

EDIT: When do wolves die(life span) by the way?
Luna
Luna

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue34/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (34/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thundo Puffs Sat 12 Jul - 13:40

The average is usually between 6 and 8 in the wild, but they can sometimes reach up to 13 years in protected wildlife areas. SInce this is a fantasy wolf pack, we are able to have are wolves live to about that age.
Thundo Puffs
Thundo Puffs
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Mon 14 Jul - 2:39

._. Most peeps leave before that happens... which is terrible... EVERY ONE OF YOU HAS TO STAY HERE! FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! EVEN IF YOU ONLY COME ON ONCE A WEEK!

It's just as equally terrible imagining one of the older wolves, Plutes, Marchles, and Feather, or any wolf really dying... ESPECIALLY someone who isn't an OC...
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuki Thu 11 Sep - 23:30

Yes... It would be terribly unfortunate... Sigs. Looks like I'm stuck with you guys... FOREVER.
Tsuki
Tsuki
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue67/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (67/100)

https://landoftheelements.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Sat 13 Sep - 23:04

Yes. You will NEVER be rid of us. We are like leeches... but... not the blood sucking part. We attach ourselves and refuse to come off ._.
Robin
Robin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest Tue 6 Oct - 18:42

I'm just staying for the booty.
Forest
Forest

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue12/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (12/100)

http://sapphireskies.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain Tue 6 Oct - 18:55

Funny how you should say that...
Rain
Rain
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue31/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (31/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by March Fri 9 Oct - 13:14

Wolves... wolves are truly truly truly truly truly truly... outrageous.
March
March

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue11/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (11/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rain Fri 9 Oct - 13:37

You.
You are outrageous.
Rain
Rain
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:
About: Wolf Development Left_bar_bleue31/100About: Wolf Development Empty_bar_bleue  (31/100)

Back to top Go down

Post by Thundo Puffs Sat 10 Oct - 21:19

I think at this point... looking at how the site turned out... everything is outrageous...
Thundo Puffs
Thundo Puffs
Admin

Wolf Info
Zähne:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down